Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Burlap Art

I have been sending fabric through my printer for several years now. Mostly for my scrapbook pages. I have printed on muslin, twill ribbon, all kinds of things. You may remember these pillows that I made back in September~







Today I decided to print on some fabric I like to call faux burlap.  It's a very rough osnaburg, giving a look of fine woven burlap or grain sack but much easier to work with.

But first I needed a frame.  I have a stash of pretty, ornate frames that are mostly gold or wood.  I have been collecting them from GW and other thrift stores and waiting for a rain free day to spray paint them all.  Today was sunny and 70 with a nice breeze.  Perfect for some spray painting.  The one I am using for this project is the one with the arrow.  It. along with all the others are now a gorgeous, creamy Heirloom White.  That sconce in the middle is especially beautiful in white and that long narrow frame is stunning! (and destined to be a chalkboard, stay tuned!)


So with my frame ready, I prepared my fabric by ironing on some Heat & Bond craft fuse to the wrong side.



After ironing it on, I cut out a piece of fabric about 5"x7" and peeled off the backing.  I then ironed the fabric to a piece of cardstock.   I sent the cardstock through the printer and after it printed I peeled off the fabric.  Next step is ironing the printed fabric to my frame insert.  After reassembling the frame I now have this lovely little picture~



So many possiblities for printing on fabric.  What will you make? 

Thanks for visiting.  Your comments are cherished!  I'll see you at the parties below:



Photobucket





Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

UndertheTableandDreaming


21 comments:

  1. Wow, cool! I've never printed on fabric. I don't even know what kind of printer we have. What kind of printer do you use?
    Susanne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a HP Inkjet. I have done it on this one and my old HP printer as well. Just make sure your fabric is stuck down well with either Heat & Bond or even just tape around the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a great idea! I've seen it done before but have never really had anyone explain it so well. I really want to try this! Oh Renee ... you are an amazingly creative woman! I always enjoy reading your posts. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I don't think i know how to do that with my printer.I would sure love to learn.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's cool-Wish we had a printer that could do that-love how you put them in frames and especially the Give Thanks one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. gosh will my printer take card stock? what the heck is that? and where do i get it ? i want to make cool pillows does it wash ok?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most printers will take cardstock. If it is a top loading printer where the paper goes straight through, it's really easy. Mine is the type where it kind of pulls it up and around, which is trickier. Card stock is just a heavier paper, like a card would be made of. Available everywhere: Walmart, Target, scrapbook and craft stoes like Michaels and Hobby Lobby. Probably wouldn't put the fabric through the wash if you make pillows. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really neat idea, Renee! Who would'ave thought you could put fabric through your printer??? Definitely going to try this craft out this winter! Thanks!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! I have some old frames I may do that to.

    Ciao,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your frame looks amazing! So creative!
    Blessings,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been wanting to try printing on fabric. I am just a little nervous about ruining my expensive printer. I should look for a cheap printer next time I am yard saling.

    Your frame and printed fabric came out lovely! I guess I am not the only one that hoards picture frames :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea...thanks so much for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just discovered your blog-put it in my favorites. Love the printing on burlap project. Do you do custom printing orders? I have a quote and a certain frame I want it in, but am nervous about putting it in our printer.
    Also love your lampshade project. Thanks for all the good info you give out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karen, I would love to do a custom print for you! Email me at zsa_zsa67@yahoo.com and we can chat about it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Renee this is simply perfect! I featured this today - stop by and grab a featured button if you like! Thanks so much for linking to The Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Renee, I'm so glad you shared this idea. I didn't know you could print on fabric and I'll be trying this out for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cool idea. I have not tried printing on fabric, but it looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Goodness, I haven't done this yet and I MUST get some osnaburg!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so awesome! I am a little afraid to put fabric through my printer or I'd run off and try it right now!

    Some day I might have to do this though, it's too cool.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are treasured!