Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Caramel In A Can

I am having some girlfriends over next week for a little Christmas party and gift crafting.  One idea I'll be sharing is the Caramel In A Can.  I am sure alot of you have seen this idea before but if not, it is such a fun gift to make.

You'll start with a can or cans of sweetened condensed milk, like Eagle brand, though the store brands are great too.  Just be sure it's NOT plain evaporated milk! 
Remove label from can. Place UNOPENED can in the bottom of a VERY DEEP pot, like a stock pot. Add enough water to cover can or cans by at least 3 to 4 inches. Bring the water to a boil and boil gently for four (4) hours.

BE SURE THAT THE CANS ARE ALWAYS UNDER AT LEAST 3-4 INCHES OF WATER THE ENTIRE TIME.  IF THE CANS ARE NOT COMPLETELY IMMERSED THEY CAN EXPLODE.   Add very hot tap water as needed to keep them under under 3-4 inches of water at all times.   I set my oven timer to go off every 30 minutes to remind me to check water level.

You can boil several cans at one time.   When 4 hours are up, carefully remove pot from heat and allow to cool several hours.  Remove cans to a rack and allow to further cool til room temp.  DO NOT OPEN while hot unless you want to be sprayed in caramel!

The sweetened, condensed milk will have turned into the most delicious caramel inside the can.  It is great for apple dipping, ice cream topping, any dessert or treat you can dream up! 

Now, I know you'll be skeptical, I was too!  So make a can, and after it cools open it up and place in a dish.  Stir in 1 tsp vanilla and nuke it for a few seconds.  Now dip some apples, or cookies and you'll be a believer!   After you have inhaled it, go buy some to make for gifts!

To give as a gift, dry cans well and glue on a label you've made.   Here are my creations from last Christmas.  You can make a fun gift basket by adding an apple cutter and some apples.  Makes a great hostess or teacher gift!


Here is the label page.  If you'd like a copy, I can send as a png file so you can make it your own.


Thanks for dropping by!  Your comments are treasured. See you at the parties below!




 
Photobucket







Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

10 comments:

  1. i am making sundae boxes as gifts. Caramel sauce would be a great addition. Could you please send me the file. Thanks so much.

    mailto: marihaf@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this before but now want to try it! Caramel is yummo! (Also, my eyes deceived me and the first time I read the title, I thought it said CAMEL In a Can--LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you thank you thank you! I had roommates in collge from Columbia and Mexico who knew how to do this, butI never had them show me the details. I had looked for intructions before but I couldn't find them! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this awesome idea!!! I've been looking for a frugal and fun gift idea for friends and teachers. Could you send the file? penrosetribe@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea, thanks so much for sharing!!
    Would you pretty please e-mail a png file for your adorable label?
    heaker76@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried this out, and it is yummy. Could I also have the png label? I'd love to make this for gifts this year. hkzim1@yahoo.com

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been making this for the longest time but never thought of making a label. Can I also get the png file? Thanks! iamsillymama@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I also get the png file? Thanks!

    dancingrose@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is adorable! Can I get the file too? mnharmon@cut.net Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would like the the jpg or png file lmherdz at hotmail dot com Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are treasured!